Saturday, September 23, 2006

d swan

I love Derek Swanson. He is daling! Derek was one the first guys I met when I moved out to Provo 5 years ago. When he started to be friends with our apartment we were so excited to know the cutest boy in the ward. We use to compare everything we loved to how much we loved Derek "yeah, but do you love chocolate ice cream more than Derek Swanson?" obvioulsy the answer was always no. I received the best hug of my life from Derek years ago and just an hour or so ago I received one of the best phone calls ever- from "D-rock!" You see, Derek was recently diagnosed with Cancer. Dang Cancer! I have been wanting to talk with my dear friend, but didn't really know what to say. I was so surprised when he called me this morning. He is doing quite well, very optimistic and energetic (I could hear him smiling on the other end of the phone). He is taking it one day at a time and trying not to worry, he is such a good kid. There really is no one quite like him, his laughter, blue eyes and that smile...what a stud! If you all wouldn't mind saying a prayer or two for him that would be lovely. I love you Derek, thanks for making my day when I should have been doing something for you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post lick. it's true, derek's smile transcends the sense of sight - i realized you really can hear him smile when he talks. love him.

Mrs. James Quigley said...

I was writing about Derek in my journal today and I was trying to describe in words one of my favortie things about Derek. Derek does this thing when he is laughing out of control and smiling at the same time, either when he's telling a story or listening to one, he kind of bends over a little, sometimes he clap his hands every once in a while. I can't really describe it, I just know that he makes me so happy when he does it and even now just thinking about it. Does any one know what I am talking about? Check out Derek's new blog to follow his journey to recovery!

Anonymous said...

yep, alicia, i'm picturing it right now. it's a nice view.