Monday, April 14, 2008

ah-ha moment



As we speak Connor, age 5, is folding is own laundry in the living room. He loves it, I personally think he is a little strange for loving to fold clothes, but since it makes my job easier I don't knock it. I got him off the bus a few minutes ago and he said to me, "I'm ready to fold." He knew that today is laundry day and there would be a pile waiting for him. I aim to please.

The ah-ha moment happened a couple of weeks ago (during C's Spring Break), that is when I took the pictures above. He was watching me fold clothes and anxious to get in on the action. I was kind of sick of him always being around me and never having a moment alone (it was Spring Break remember) so I tried to kick him out of the room. He has been putting his folded clothes away for months now and recently showed interest in folding, but I wouldn't allow him to touch "my stuff". This particular Spring afternoon, when it was just the two of us, I took a moment, I slowed down and thought about Connor as a person, not just doing the laundry as a process. I let him into my space and my time and enjoyed every second of it. I have this tender feeling inside of me as I type this now. It wasn't a huge deal, it didn't require a whole lot of effort, but what I got out of it changed my outlook on my job as a "parent" and even how I see Connor. We talked one-on-one those few minutes together folding laundry, I taught him a few new things...but he taught me even more. Slow down parents, take the time to enjoy your little crazies, it is so worth it.

3 comments:

emily said...

i must be close to my period ... i am totally crying at your last 2 sentences ... thanks you AGAIN alicia - you're the best!

kaitlin said...

cute alicia i love it.

kaitlin said...

and ps do you know you can change where it posts?
like if you click on "post options" at the bottom of the box where you type your post you can change the date that it will post under.
maybe you already knew that.
but just fyi.