Tuesday, May 20, 2008


A couple of Saturday’s ago I spent the morning at a Stake Relief Society Enrichment Activity. It was a wonderful way to spend the day. I learned so much in such a short period of time and truly felt the Holy Ghost teach me. The theme for the Conference was “Standing Together in Holy Places. “ There were numerous talks along that topic and SO many great things were said, but one talk in particular made a great impact on my life. Sister Kristen Dayley from my Stake gave a talk titled “Creating Sacred Spaces”

These are some of my notes (mingled with my own thoughts):
“Only the home can compare with the Temple in sacredness” (Bible Dict.)
Do we think of our home as we do Temples?
“Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God” (D&C 88:119)
Some wives/mothers get overwhelmed by the phrase “house of order” but instead of thinking about the pile of mail on the counter or the laundry over flowing in the hallway think about putting first things first. He cares about our priorities not if our counters are clean.
Is your home where you honor the gospel?
The Temple as a Type (using the Temple as a pattern to how our homes should be):
1. Prepare to Enter- our homes should be set apart from the world, our homes can be dedicated for nurturing souls including our own, when we go home do we leave our worldly cares outside?

2. Welcome at the Door-how do we want our home to feel to people who enter? Is it a place where people want to be? Do people enter and sense your love and concern? Does the Holy Ghost visit often

3. Concern for the Individual-Salvation is an individual matter (Elder Nelson May 08 Ensign), never loose sight of the individual’s needs

4. Present in the Moment- be still and appreciate the moment, the Savior’s ministry was never hectic, relationships should come before tasks, everyday activities have opportunities to build friendships and memories, approach our responsibilities with reverence

5. We Leave Strengthened- (Cheryl Lant “Righteous Traditions May 08 Ensign) How do our practices strengthen us or others? Draw upon the powers of heaven trough fasting and prayer

6. Christ as the Center- “If the Savior stood beside me” (Primary song) a home focused on the Savior will naturally be a house of order where first things are put first, “The best place to prepare for Eternal Life is in the home” (David O. McKay)

*I love this concept, it is not really new. We all know these things, but I guess like anything the trick comes in the application of the principles. I love this topic! If you want to discuss it future or would love more ideas email or call and we’ll talk. Honestly I think this talk has changed my life….especially the part about a house of order , I can have my priorities in order even if I am not the best housekeeper on the planet. I love you all, I was so excited to share this with you and maybe make your life better too.

8 comments:

Kendra said...

thanks alicia. i really like this topic as well. i feel so at peace knowing that even though my house may not always look orderly, i do feel like i usually have my priorities in order. i definitly feel the spirit strongest when i am spending quality time with my little ones...and not washing the dishes! i think as well of the message i'm sending them when i set something aside to be with them. thanks for the extra reminder to strive to pattern my home after the temple of the Lord.

emily said...

1. I love that picture ... did you take it? i'm totally stealing it off your blog!
2. you wrote this with me in mind didn't you!? you're the best!
3. i will take all this to heart and we can discuss more about it while we scrapbook! (btw: when are we going to scrapbook!? ;)
4. LOVE YOU!

Rae said...

Thank you Alicia, I needed and loved your post today! Especially today!! Thank you love ya! Oh and I have to admit I look at your post wondering if its the day that I will find the most wonderful announcement......:) love you!

James Quigley said...

What announcement would that be, Rea?

hehe... I have too much fun with Alicia's friends.

Olivia Carter said...

What a great topic- some really good ideas & such true statements! Thanks for this!

tricki_nicki said...

Thanks Leesh, I needed to read that today. I've been thinking a lot lately on what makes a good mom, vs. what I think makes ME a good mom. The principles you listed are what we should all be doing to measure our progress. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Love you Alicia!!! This was a great blog. I can't wait until you become the General Relief Society president some day. This message was also something I needed to hear today. Well probably everyday!!!

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Hi! Heidi shared this post with me. Since I know you are cool with blog stalking, I knew you wouldn't mind if I left you a comment. :)

Thanks for this post! I have really felt a need lately to re-prioritize my life. I appreciate the insights that you shared with us. Shout out to Heidi for passing this along. Thanks!