Friday, September 14, 2007

a first

I think for the first time in my life I can say that I did not take enough pictures (I took lots, just not ENOUGH). I went to Utah last week and had a wonderful trip, but for some reason I didn't take very many pictures. I now, of course, have regrets about that since pictures help me to remember events, memories and people. Sometimes pictures aren't enough though, they can't tell the whole story. I couldn't get a picture talking to Sarah Jane (a lady in the care center I have been visiting for years) and feeling so happy about the woman she has become (probably thanks to whatever wonderful medication she is on) and awed by her love for me. No pictures could justify being with Lindsay, whether having a sleepover on her big comfy bed, telling stories or just knowing each other so well that words weren't necessary. I wish I could take a perfect picture of Michelle that explains what her friendship means to me. She is who I want to be like, yet I know it will never happen. I tried to take a picture with my boys, I got an okay one on Micah's birthday but it still falls short of showing how happy I was at that moment surrounded by some of my favorite people, some of my longest friends and even though we were pretty boring, that evening was completely perfect. There isn't a camera good enough to capture my feelings about being back at BYU, being home. I was so happy and excited to be there with Kaitlin (and so proud of her) and go to class with her, but still my heart hurt knowing that my BYU life is over (I also didn't like the fact that I felt/looked 10 years older than everyone there...oh wait!!!). I had so many more memories that could not be recorded on film or digitally but they will be forever in my heart.

Time flew by and I didn't get to see everyone and do everything I wanted to do. I guess I will have to go back. Next time...Michelle and I will spend more time together, I will eat at Mimi's Cafe, Oliva and I will craft, I will spend more time with my "batch," I will see Micah and Jeremiah's plane, I will hold more babies, I will have more talks with the people I love, and the list goes on and on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just love you, Alicia. I'm glad you had a nice trip.

Anonymous said...

It makes my heart happy to know that you love and are loved so much in another place. You're beautiful Leesh.